Friday, June 12, 2020

Minivan RV Trip Out West - The Adventure Begins

It all started sitting on the couch the week leading up to Memorial Day weekend. I asked Jason if he wanted to pack up and head to Maine the next day. He agreed to leave in two days. I started putting feelers out to Airbnb hosts as travel bans were still in place. I almost successfully negotiated a deal with a host, but it fell through. So we scrapped the idea, but I still had the itch to travel and use this time I have available while I'm laid off. 

Fast forward and I decide I could build out a minivan to be a self contained camping unit so we could hit the road and have a home base that would allow us to circumvent the need for formal lodging. Lucky for me, the job I'm laid off from is with the best company in the world, Accent Indy. They have a company minivan which they were kind enough to let me borrow and use to build out the bed and storage for our pseudo-RV.

One week later, we picked up our Dodge Grand Caravan at Enterprise, moved all the infrastructure in and left Indy. 

All I can say at this point is we are heading west. We're currently four hours into our journey and somewhere north of Peoria, IL. We have no reservations and no goal destination. The plan is to keep an eye on the weather and base some decisions on that. We'll definitely be hiking a lot. Other than that, we will see what happens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment