Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Book Review - WILD by Cheryl Strayed

Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
by Cheryl Strayed


As some of you know, I LOVE reading books by female authors.  I love the perspective of a woman who some would refer to as being strong or fearless, though I'm not a big fan of the word "fearless."  I believe we all have fear in us and I also believe it is a great thing.  Without fear, no one would ever do anything great.  The thing about women I admire is that they are willing to push beyond the fear to fulfill a magnificent dream or to experience something great.

Cheryl Strayed's story of her hike on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) is a wonderfully honest and deep look into a woman who has been through some tortuous experiences in her life, from an abusive father, to drugs, affairs, the death of her mother and so much more.  I  immediately felt a strong bond with her though we have had very different life experiences.  She brought her story to life in a way that I felt like I lived every moment with her.

Her hike on the PCT tested her in every possible way.  It broke down her body, tested her mentally and threw out some obstacles which caused even some of the most seasoned hikers to throw in the towel.  And yet, through it all, Cheryl pushed on and found hope and kindness in so many ways, from California all the way up to the last inches of northern Oregon.

Cheryl's brand of honesty is the thing I treasure and admire most in this book.  She bluntly shares intimately real details about both the ugliest and prettiest moments of the adventure that has been her life.  Wild is a truly fantastic account of the experiences of this very special woman, and is ultimately a story of hope.  The subtitle says it all, "From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail."  What an incredible story.



No comments:

Post a Comment