Monday, February 18, 2013

Couchsurfing (Part One)


I just had the most spontaneous, action-packed, fun-filled weekend getaway ever!  And I did it as a couchsurfer.

Last week, I decided it was time to get healthy dose of my favorite city, Nashville.  It's such a great city and it always feels like home.  I was thinking about heading down on Friday after work and considering where I might stay.  Then I remembered something I had learned about in college called couchsurfing.  Couchsurfing is a way of finding a place to stay, meeting new people and sharing experiences.

I got on couchsurfing.org and searched for hosts in Nashville and found an abundance of potential hosts.  I started reading profile after profile, deciding who seemed safe, fun and like I would have something in common with them.  For those of you who are immediately jumping to the potential negatives of this form of tourism, let me throw out a couple of mind-easing tidbits.  The site is an incredible resource that offers piece of mind in many ways.  Some users have gone through a process to be verified for their identity and location.  All users have reviews if they have used the service as a surfer or a host, much like reviews on eBay.  You should check out the site.  It's really cool.  Everyone has a profile and you really get a good sense of who it is you are going to meet.

Garth Brooks sang, "I'll admit I tend to sing a different song.  Sometimes you just can't be afraid to wear a different hat.  If Columbus had complied this old world might still be flat.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained, sometimes you've got to go against the grain."

I kind of look at life that way, and I certainly look at couchsurfing that way.  Life is one big lesson in assessing risks vs. potential benefits.  When I found someone's profile who I assessed as being low-risk, with very high potential benefits  I sent a request to stay with him for the weekend.

A short bit after I sent the request I got an email telling me my request had been accepted and I got a note from my host with his address and phone number.

Lots more details on the the experiences of my super-fun, action-packed weekend to come in another blog post this evening.

My host and me being silly with Prince Charming.

No comments:

Post a Comment