Sunday, March 17, 2013

Icy Fun at Turkey Run

I don't know about you, but it seems like a lot of people in my world are getting hit hard with cabin fever, me included!  In an effort to combat this horrible state of being, I've decided every free moment is a great opportunity to head out to the woods, snow or shine, cold or colder, no matter what, it's time to get outside!

The first hike of the year was a couple of weeks ago.  Turkey Run State Park is about an hour west of Indianapolis and is one of my favorite places to hike in the state.  It's just far enough to feel like a getaway, yet close enough to go anytime.  

Though we weren't leaving until late Saturday morning, my hiking buddy and I felt the need to get in the spirit a little early, so on Friday we made a trip to REI to look at gear and dream about adventures we'd like to embark upon.  REI is like my own little piece of heaven.  It's a good thing it is a bit of a drive or I'd be there at least once a week.

Friday night I went home to pack up for the weekend and discovered all my outdoors gear is in a massive disarray.  I'm not sure how it got so bad, but little by little, I've managed to scatter my gear over the winter.  I managed to locate everything except my headlamp, which I didn't figure I would need anyway, and got everything put into a couple of bags and ready to roll.  (I later found my headlamp in my hunting tote)

The following morning, I got up and ready and headed to my friend's house to throw everything in one vehicle and get on our way.  The hike was amazing.  Temperatures stayed right around freezing, but I was comfortable all day.  We hiked for five hours and covered nearly half the park.

It was such a beautiful day.  It snowed most of the day leaving gorgeous white flakes all over us and every other surface in the woods.  It added a fun challenge to some parts of the trail as well.  Nothing like a fresh layer of snow and ice on ladders and narrow ledges to get the blood pumping!

In the evening, we returned to my favorite motel of all time.  Every time I go to Turkey Run I try to stay there.  It is called the Parke Bridge Motel and is located in Rockville, IN.  It is run by a very sweet family and the rooms are so adorable.  It's the perfect place to return to after being on the trails.

Here are a few photos from the first hike of the year!

I know, I know

My balancing act on the icy ledge.

First hike with the new poles.  They are amazing!  

Little bat at the lunch spot.  I named him Walter.

Icy tree bent over.  Looked like a fun challenge.




No comments:

Post a Comment