Thursday, March 21, 2013

Beyond my Bucket List


Dear friends,

I'd like to take a quick moment and thank you for following along with my adventures.  Though I know I haven't met all of you who read this blog, I'm thankful for every one of you.

Last week, I had the opportunity to get to know a fascinating woman.  This is a woman who has achieved great success in her life.  When I first met her, she was speaking to a group I was a part of and I found myself oddly drawn to her.  I couldn't exactly pinpoint why it was, but I made a point of introducing myself to her at the completion of the event.  Not only was her story incredible and inspiring, but there seemed to be something radiating from within her.  Happiness?  Success?  Contentment?  I really didn't know what it was, but I liked her.

She agreed to have coffee with me and impart some wisdom on career paths.  We talked a bit on careers, but quickly discovered we share a love for adventure, travel and new experiences.  The conversation changed gears and we shared some of our favorite experiences as well as a few items from our bucket lists.  I found that she had done some of the things I have not yet checked off my bucket list, so once again, she was inspiring me.  I enjoyed my time with her very much and left considering a lot of my favorite memories and adventures.  

I truly hope each and every one of you has a Bucket List.  I mean a true, written down list that you do everything you can to pursue the dreams on it.  I certainly have mine.  It is an ever evolving list.  There are currently 20 items on my list that have yet to be checked off and, believe me, I'm focused making them all happen.  Little by little, I WILL achieve everything.

There is another list I keep as well and that's the one I want to share with you today.  It is a list of some of the experiences I've had and skills I've learned that I treasure.  Some were crossed off my bucket list, others were more random opportunities.  It's important to remember the things you've accomplished.  Sometimes when I feel like there is still so much I want to do in my life and feel overwhelmed trying to figure out how I am going to manage to do everything, I look back on the things I have done and revel in how much fun I've had.  The list below is a piece of the list I copied and pasted from my personal document.  The grammar is massively inconsistent  so please forgive me.  I just wanted to share some of these things with you and remind you that not every accomplishment or adventure has to be extraordinary, expensive or life-changing.  An adventure is an adventure because it brought you joy and opened your eyes to something new, whether it be great or small.

Things I've Done

Bungee Jumped
Parasailed 
On the field for first NFL game of the season
Climbed the fence at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Water-ski
Own & ride motorcycles
Own a boat
Can drive a backhoe
Can drive a bobcat
Can drive a forklift
Got tattoos
Slept on the beach
Barrell Raced in a rodeo in Bandera, TX
Played cowbell in a steel drum band
Traveled to Italy
Swam in Mediterranean
Swam in Gulf of Mexico
Swam in Atlantic
Swam in Pacific
Learned to weld
Hunting
Own a home
Ride a mechanical bull
Drive a houseboat
Clean fish
Clean turtles
Hiked up a mountain for the sunset
Helped deliver a calf
Hang Glide
Participated in a 5K
Rode a painted horse in the Rio Grande
Listen to a Native American Storyteller
Spent time with Grampa in hospital & nursing home & held his hand when I thought I’d lose him right then
Was in a TV commercial
Learned to mountain bike at Women’s mountain biking clinic
Sprint Distance Triathalon
Met Garth Brooks!
Install laminate flooring in a whole house
Put on fireworks show at the lake
Mud Run
Trap shooting
Ziplining
Album release party in Nashville
Built a cabin porch in my living room
Hiked on the Appalachian Trail



No comments:

Post a Comment