Thursday, January 17, 2013

Tales from the train


Good morning friends! Yesterday morning I wrote a lovely message to you all, but due to some technology issues, the whole message somehow disappeared into the abyss. Now that I have had some time to cool my jets over that loss, I am ready to write to you again.

I'm in Chicago this week for a trade show and I'm writing to you while on the train for my morning commute into downtown. A couple of days ago I spoke to a friend back in Indy and he asked me if it makes me nervous to take trains, busses and cabs all over the place. It was an interesting question that baffled me for a second. It never occured to me that this would make anyone nervous. Some of you know that I grew up in Chicagoland... Well, now all of you know. ;-) So this method of hopping from one form of transportation to another to get from the suburbs to downtown is not at all foreign to me. In fact, what would make me nervous is DRIVING into downtown.

I love this commute because it is such a wonderful time to relax, decompress and prepare for the day ahead. I have a whole hour of peaceful time on the train to drink my coffee and do whatever I want. (Confession- this morning I had to do a 50 yard dash to hop on the train just before it pulled away. So the first 20 minutes were spent catching my breath.)

Yesterday, I sat next to a man who was wonderful to talk to. We struck up a conversation for more than half the ride into downtown. You never know who you will meet or what you will learn.

This lovely commuting time came to me somewhat by accident. I was supposed to stay in a hotel downtown, but the woman I was to share a room with practically has the plague. When I found that out, I decided to find alternate lodging. Lucky for me, my very best friend in the world lives up this way, so she offered to put me up.

It has been some of the greatest time we have ever spent together. It is nice to come home to one another in the evening and have that time to spend together. In fact, last night she got home early and cleaned her whole apartment and made dinner before I got there. When I walked in, I was greeted with a, "Hey Ash! How was your day? Dinner is five minutes from being ready."

I can't tell you how much love and appreciation I felt for her in that moment. I am so blessed to have had this wonderful woman as my best friend for the past 20ish years.

Have a remarkable day! I will be writing to you again soon. There is so much more to tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment